Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Dedicated to providing the highest level of newborn care
When the birth of your child has the potential to pose additional challenges, our team of neonatal specialists is here to support you, your obstetrician, and your family through birth and beyond.
Sometimes, our tiniest newborns arrive not yet ready to face the world. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of newborn care for the newest and tiniest babies, in the most complex situations.
You can have confidence knowing that Aurora BayCare’s Level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) has a multidisciplinary team of neonatal specialists and is equipped with the latest in newborn technology.
Taking Care of Your Baby in the NICU
While in the NICU, your newborn will have round-the-clock care from specialized experts, including:
- Neonatologists—these are board certified, fellowship trained pediatricians with additional expertise in the specific needs of the newest and most delicate newborns
- Neonatal nurse practitioners
- Newborn care nurses
- Registered respiratory therapists who specialize in newborn care
- A maternal-fetal medicine specialist who focuses solely on high-risk pregnancies and births
- International board certified lactation consultants
- Social workers to provide personalized patient services and resources
In addition to our neonatal team, you have access to a team of experts in the following specialty areas, including:
- Developmental care
- Imaging, echocardiography and pediatric cardiac consultation
- Neonatal nutrition
- Surgical services
As part of Aurora BayCare Medical Center’s unique Laborist Program, there is always an obstetric specialist on hand, in the hospital, providing expert care.
Breastfeeding your newborn while in the NICU may present unique challenges. As part of your NICU support team, a lactation specialist will work with you to address these challenges in the best way for you and your baby.
NICU Follow-Up Clinic
Once your newborn graduates from the NICU, you will have access to our multidisciplinary team of neonatal developmental specialists, including neonatologists, neonatal nurses, and occupational therapists or speech therapists who specialize in developmental assessment, early intervention and referral to achieve optimal outcomes.
During the following months, your newborn will be formally assessed to monitor growth and development. Developmental milestones will be measured, and you and your pediatrician will have access to a complete evaluation of your baby’s progress.
You & Your Family – On Site Comfort & Support
While your newborn spends time in the NICU, and during subsequent visits, you and your family members may also spend more time at Aurora BayCare Medical Center. To support you in your baby’s home away from home, the following resources are available to you for your comfort and support:
- Hotel on fifth floor of hospital - discounted rates for patient family members
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access
- Café featuring wide array of culinary offerings, including Friday fish fry
- Unlimited visiting hours
- Safe Place advanced security system
101 WIXX's Nick Vitrano and his wife had two beautiful, healthy children at Aurora BayCare. Listen as he talks about the comfort they felt knowing the NICU was available in case their family might need it: