Brain and spine health
We’re leaders in brain and spine health. Our doctors are committed to understanding, protecting, and restoring the brain and central nervous system.
Neurologists specialize in the body’s nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves. This delicate system regulates voluntary and involuntary functions such as speech, memory, thinking, breathing, heart rate, and temperature control.
At Aurora BayCare, we provide complete neurological care, from diagnosis through recovery. Comprehensive services include health and wellness education, support groups, and integrative medicine. We’ll help you treat your condition, manage your symptoms, and monitor your health to ensure you enjoy the best quality of life possible.
Aurora BayCare’s neurologists can offer assistance with neurological disorders like these:
- Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Movement disorders (e.g., Parkinson’s disease, essential tremors)
- Neuromuscular disorders (e.g., multiple sclerosis)
Services and Treatments
No two people have precisely the same condition. We take things like age, lifestyle, and genetics into account when developing your treatment plan. Depending on your situation, you may benefit from surgical or non-surgical treatment methods. Our expert team will work with you to create an effective treatment plan that’s right for you.
Non-surgical treatments may include physical therapy, changes in diet and exercise, medication, or integrative medicine, including meditation and yoga.
If non-surgical treatments are not effective, we may recommend a neurosurgery approach. When possible, we use minimally invasive procedures for reduced risk and faster healing.
Types of neurosurgery include:
- Craniotomy – involves removing part of the skull to access the brain. A craniotomy may be required to treat brain tumors, certain aneurysms, brain swelling, or infections.
- Neurointerventions – also known as endovascular neurosurgery, these minimally invasive procedures treat abnormalities in blood vessels and blood flow.
- Stereotactic radiosurgery - treats brain tumors and other disorders with precise delivery of a single, high dose of radiation in a one-day session.
- Shunting – involves surgically implanting a device to relieve pressure on the brain; allows excess cerebrospinal fluid to drain to another area of the body.
- Spine surgery – surgery on the spinal column can repair an injury or correct a deformity; procedures include fusions, laminectomies, discectomies, and disc replacements.
Previously, brain surgery procedures required the patient’s head to be held inside a rigid frame that was attached to the skull with screws. Aurora BayCare has the technology to provide “frameless” guided-image brain surgery that is more comfortable for the patient but provides the same accuracy as the rigid frame.
Aurora BayCare offers state-of-the-art diagnostic services for brain, spine, and neck conditions.
Our neuroradiology team operates multiple diagnostic systems including a 3T MRI, a 128 multi-slice CT scanner, and two angiography rooms—one of which is a dedicated neuro biplane procedure room. Our services are fully digital and delivered by one of the most talented neurovascular imaging teams in the region.
With our clinical team’s knowledge and experience, we can provide you with a full range of imaging options. We collaborate hand-in-hand with our neuroscience team, including neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuroradiologists, and neurointerventionalist.
Team experience and quality benchmarks lead the region:
- Cutting-edge technology, including large bore MRI and 128 slice CT
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology
- Neuroradiologist who specializes in brain and spine imaging and diagnostics
- All CT techs are certified through the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
Neuroradiologists use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT), digital angiography, positron emission tomography (PET), ultrasound, and x-rays. Some neuroimaging tests allow us to see the structure of the brain. Other tests help us see brain functions or activity.
At Aurora BayCare, we provide a full range of testing options. We have the latest technology using the lowest radiation dose possible to provide high-resolution images.
Neurological imaging available on-site:
- 3T Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – uses large magnets and radio waves to produce detailed images of the brain
- Functional MRI (fMRI) - maps regions of the brain before surgery, therapy, or interventional treatments
- Cerebral angiography – uses an injectable dye and x-rays to produce images of the small arteries, veins, and blood flow in the brain
- Computed tomography (CT) – uses x-rays and computers to make detailed, cross-section images of your brain and helps us find any major structural problems
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) – records the brain’s electrical activity using electrodes attached to your scalp
- Electromyogram (EMG) – uses electrodes to record electrical activity and muscle response
- Myelogram - uses dye injected into the spinal canal to make it visible on x-rays
- Positron emission tomography (PET scan) – injects glucose with a radioactive tracer and creates a picture of the brain’s activity
- Ultrasound - uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of vessels, tissues, and
Next Generation Care
As part of Aurora BayCare, our neurology practice is part of a family of services that includes the latest diagnostic technology and proven physical rehabilitation services. Our neurologists lead and participate in clinical trials to bring our patients the next generation of treatments.