Live well beyond cancer.
Cancer rehabilitation specialists can help you restore your quality of life after cancer treatment.
Rehab therapists at Aurora BayCare Medical Center are specially trained to assist cancer patients at any stage of treatment or recovery. The Cancer Rehabilitation program offers you customized programs to minimize or eliminate symptoms that may come with cancer treatment.
Cancer rehabilitation services can help you address symptoms like these:
- Balance problems
- Anxiety and depression
- Memory loss
- Decreased flexibility or range of motion
Cancer Rehab Team
- Speech-Language Pathologist. A speech-language pathologist can help with communication, including expression, comprehension, voice and cognition. This therapist can also help if you’re struggling with chewing and swallowing.
- Occupational Therapist. An occupational therapist can help you perform the activities of your daily life. This includes tasks in the home, outside the home, and things done on the job.
- Physical Therapist. Physical therapy can help with walking, balance, range of motion, and strength. Therapists can also treat problems with swelling such as lymphedema, scar tissue management, posture, incontinence and painful intercourse.
Massage therapy uses the power of touch to stimulate the body's natural healing and defense mechanisms. This form of therapeutic touch uses a gentle pressure and specialized techniques for those who have compromised immune systems that are challenged by infection or cancer.
Every Step of the Way
The cancer rehabilitation team offers a variety of rehab services to help you through all phases of treatment. Rehabilitation treatment can begin as early as your first diagnosis.
Cancer rehabilitation can help improve your quality of life by:
- Reducing pain and scar tissue through tissue mobilization, range of motion and pain management.
- Improving physical condition with exercise programs that help build strength, endurance, and mobility.
- Providing tactics to reduce fatigue and struggles with activities of daily living such as eating, drinking, dressing, bathing, using the toilet, cooking, and basic housekeeping.
- Managing lymphedema (swelling of the leg or arm), which can occur when lymph nodes are removed or damaged during surgery or radiation.
- Improving sleep quality with body positioning, relaxation techniques and aromatherapy.
Other services are available to meet your needs as you progress through your cancer rehab. Speak with your care team or Nurse Navigator about a referral to any of the following:
- Dietary. Nutritional coaching for healthy eating.
- Smoking Cessation. Education and support provided through the Quit Assist Hotline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
- Behavioral Health. Patient and family education on stress, anxiety, and depression can help you feel and relate better during this challenging time.
- Pain Management. Treatment options to address ongoing pain that may result from surgery or radiation.
- Bridge to Wellness. Personal training to help you regain strength and mobility during or after cancer treatment.
- Complementary Therapies. Options such as aromatherapy and massage therapy can help you cope with stress and reduce the physical and emotional impact of treatment.
What matters to you? Whether you want to garden again, get back on the bike, or walk someone down the aisle, we want you to have the strength and mobility to meet your goals.
We partner with your cancer team, Nurse Navigator, and other healthcare providers to ensure your rehab is seamless, from inpatient to outpatient care. We take care of the details so you can focus on your recovery.
Recovery, Healing, and Wellness
Surgery, chemo, and radiation can take a toll on your body. Rehab helps cancer survivors regain strength, health, and overall well-being.
Cancer survivors have different needs for every type of cancer. Breast cancer patients may need therapy to rebuild strength and flexibility and reduce swelling. Patients with colon cancer may need help for back pain and abdominal swelling. Patients with head or neck cancers can get help with swallowing and range of motion.
Get back into life with a custom rehab plan. Our programs are individualized to help you live well from diagnosis into survivorship. We have experts here who understand the challenges cancer patients face. We’re here with you through treatment and recovery, so you can do more than survive—you can thrive!